First prize: £150 Second prize: £75 Third prize: £25
Closing date: 31st October 2013
Chief Judge: Dennis Conlon
Actor, author, playwright, musician, award winner, Dennis Conlon has had various roles in the entertainment industry for many years, including parts in films/tv such as Rita, Sue & Bob Too all the way through to Shameless. He is always on the lookout for original formats and enjoys writing that involves real life experience. He is currently working on a semi-autobiographical work that highlights some of the outrageous excesses of the sixties and European/American relationships of the time. He is far too fond of Yorkshire.
- Your entry should be an unpublished, original story on any theme of up to 2000 words (includes previous publication via internet or independent press)
- Do not put your name on your story but do give it a suitable title.
- You do not need an entry form. Send us a cover sheet with each entry’s title, word count, your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. For internet entries, please include PayPal ref. number OR put the story names in the comments box when paying.
- No individual correspondence will be entered into regarding receipt of works/payments.
- Please include an SAE if you wish to receive a print of the results/judges report (if available) when the competition is finished. For email entries, please note in the body of the mail that you would like to receive the results.
- Winners will be informed in December, general availability of results will be available on this site thereafter.
- Entries in English please.
- Winning stories may be published on this site for 12 months with permission of original author.
- The fee is £3.00 for each story, or £10 for 4. You can pay by cheque or postal order made out to Southport Writers’ Circle.
Send entries to:
Short Story Competition
Southport Writers’ Circle
35 Sussex Road,
Southport, PR9 0SR
Online entries CLICK HERE
Optional – Paper saving single-spaced entries encouraged.