Online entries CLICK HERE
First Prize: £150, Second Prize: £75, Third Prize: £25
(In addition: £25 Humour Prize)
Chief Judge: Alison Chisholm
Alison has written 11 poetry collections and had her work broadcast on both TV and radio. She lives in Southport and has been teaching poetry and creative writing for over 30 years. She has written courses for the Merseyside and North West Open College boards, as well as running workshops across the UK, including at Swanwick, NAWG Festival of Writing, The Writers’ Holiday, Fishguard, The Writers’ Summer School, and Relax and Write weekends. Currently, Alison works as a poetry consultant and regularly contributes to Writing Magazine.
RULES: Please read carefully
- Poems should bear no identification of the poet. Humour entries should be marked with an ‘H’. Humour entrants are not disqualified from winning main prizes.
- Please enclose a separate A4 sheet of paper with your full contact details (address, email, phone number) and list of titles submitted. For online entries, this information is allowable in the body of the email.
- All entries must be typed on A4 paper, in English (dialects allowable), and must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant.
- For internet entries, please include PayPal ref. number in body of email OR put the story(ies) names in the comments (add info) box when paying. Also please use basic formatting in any of .doc, .docx, rich text (.rtf) or .odf file types when attaching your file to the email. Any .pdfs, sidebars, headers, footers or unusual layouts may result in your electronic entry being rejected.
- Each entry should be accompanied by the appropriate fee of £3 per poem or four poems for £10. Cheques/Postal orders should be in sterling and payable to: SOUTHPORT WRITERS’ CIRCLE.
- A maximum of 40 lines per poem is allowed.
- The closing date for entries will be 30th April 2018. Winners will be informed in June, general availability of results thereafter.
- Please keep a copy of your poem(s) as manuscripts cannot be returned.
- The adjudicator’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding receipt of individual entries or payments.
- If you would like a copy of adjudicator’s report (if available), please include an SAE for paper entries, or for online entries please state you wish to have the results in the body of the email.
- No application form is required.
Envelopes should be sent to:-
Southport Writers’ Circle Poetry Competition
60 Dinorwic Rd,
Please DO NOT send entries by recorded delivery or send any other confirming material such as return postcards.
Online entries CLICK HERE